Autumn Glory


I think any fisherman will agree that the autumn is probably the most beautiful time to be out on the bank. As the days turn colder and the nights grow longer the leaves on the trees change to a multitude of colours as nature paints an awesome water colour that lifts the heart to be out in and to be a part of.
It is as autumn approaches that I begin to think of where to go along the river to reaquaint myself with one of our most beautiful coarse fish the Perch.
Most anglers have caught a Perch. Infact the Perch is usually one of the first fish we catch as children as we first try are arm at the sport, The Perch is so greedy that the small ones can prove to be an utter nuicence as they snaffle the baits intended for largr pray. But anyone who has caught a larger Perch can only agree that they are indeed a beautiful fish that always give a good account of themselves in the fight.
I am lucky enough to live in a village alongside the Dorset Stour, Like all of the uk's waterways the Stour was badly affected by the deasease that all but wiped out our larger Perch. Thankfully in recent years they have recovered and it is once again posible to set out in pursuit of a specimen Perch and i believe that there is no better time than early autumn in which to do that. It is then that their fantastic colours are most vibrant and when they are at their fighting best.
I find the most enjoyable way to fish for these autumn treasures is with a float set-up carrying only minimal gear so that I can walk the banks unhindered as I look for my prey in their favourite pools. I am not alone in that as I found out when I read the Book ""How To Fish" by Chris yates.
Chris is a Perch fanatic, he too fishes along the same stretches of the River Stour, I had'nt known this before i read his book but he desribes the river in such a way that i could almost see the pools he writes about fishing. Infact in one chapter he described a bend in the River in such a way hat I felt sure I knew where he had been and on a day that suited Perch fishing I paid that bend a visit, It may or may not have been the same bend but it proved to be a real Perch hotspot! In the hour before dusk that I fished, I caught 8 specimen Perch all of which were over 2lb with the three biggest weighing 3lb 4oz, 3lb 6oz and a new PB for me 3lb 10 0z. It was without doubt one of the best hours fishing I have ever had, the fish were in fantastic condititon and it is hard to describe how impressive a Perch of that size is. I must of coarse give thanks and credit to Chris Yates because I never would have fished the swim if it had'nt been for his book.
"How to Fish" is a great read, it describes the joy of fishing for Perch and with his usual skill Chris brings the scene to life through his descriptive narratives. If you have never fished for Perch then give it a read as I am sure it will ignite an interest, If like me do enjoy hunting autumn Perch on our rivers then reading "How to fish" will help prepare your mind for the coming year and you never know may even prompt you too find the Perch hole of a lifetime!
if you want to read "How to fish" by Chris Yates you can order now by simply clicking this link

No comments:

Have you got an article or a review you would like to share with the nations anglers?

It does'nt matter if its a bait or tackle review or a review on your local angling club we would like to see it. If you feel you have something worth saying please feel free to send it to UKcoarsefishingreviews@gmail.com and subject to an edit we will try to publish it.